Choose the Colloquial expression that best fits the context.
1. You are talking to the wrong person. I'm telling you: you are
as thick as two short planks
barking up the wrong tree
2. I don't know what I did wrong, but Sue
kept her hair on
was touch and go
3. I see you've almost finished your tea. Shall I
top you up
blow your trumpet
let my hair down
4. Please stop
topping me up
barking up that tree
and let your hair down
blowing your own trumpet
, Jamai. You're not half as good as you think!
5. Don't worry. What Lisa says about the proposal is
touch and go
one good turn
neither here nor there
Drag the Communicative phrases to the right place.
You need Java enabled to view the crossword applet.
Now figure out which English word you get when you write down letters 1, 6, 4, 4, 5, 2, 7, 9 and 2.
Choose the correct translation of the word in
1. For further information
the Dean of the Faculty of Law.
zich wenden tot
2. There aren't many
subjects at our school.
3. Robert is a very
4. I don't expect I will be able to get any
is almost impressive.
Complete the sentences by using the correct forms of the
to school by bus this morning. (simple past)
his sister since 1984. (present perfect)
(TO CELEBRATE) Hafid's birthday last Wednesday.
2. I'm sorry I'm a bit moody. I
(TO HAVE) a busy day today.
(TO WORK) here for five months now.
4. If I
(TO KNOW) Ruth's address, I would write to her.
5. This church
(TO BUILD) sometime during the 17th century.
Choose the correct translations of the Dutch sentences.
6. Wanneer heb je deze fiets gekocht?
When have you bought this bicycle?
When did you buy this bicycle?
7. Mijn oom is net voor Pasen overleden.
My uncle has died just before Easter.
My uncle died just before Easter.
8. Sorry dat ik laat ben. Hoe lang heb je op me staan wachten?
Sorry I'm late. How long did you wait for me?
Sorry I'm late. How long have you been waiting for me?
9. Ik ben nog nooit in Schotland geweest.
I was never in Scotland.
I have never been to Scotland.
10. Shakespeare heeft veel toneelstukken geschreven.
Shakespeare has written many plays.
Shakespeare wrote many plays.
Indicate whether the sentences are right or wrong. Pay attentions to the forms of
She lied her towel on the grass and went for a swim.
John lay on the ground for more than an hour after his fall.
The hens have lain more than ten eggs.
I have never lied to you, you must believe me.
Jimmy would never lay violent hands on anyone.
Indicate which words can be made negative by using the prefix
Questionmark OnDemand licensed to ThiemeMeulenhoff BV